Houston Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorcyclists are almost 30 times more likely to suffer a fatality and 5 times more likely to be injured due to motor vehicle collision than the passenger or driver of a passenger vehicle. Motorcycles provide a unique opportunity to use roadways with minimal fuel costs, cheaper vehicle costs, and easier parking ability. But, motorcyclists are much more vulnerable to crashes and injuries than other motorists. That proposition highlights the need for motorcyclists to be safe drivers around the vehicles they share the road with, and the same need for motorists of passenger vehicles to drive safely and share the road. Our motorcycle attorneys at Pusch & Nguyen have extensive experience in handling the claims that vary from road rash to wrongful death. At Pusch & Nguyen we fight to maximize your recovery and make sure you get the medical treatment that you need.
Leading Reasons For Motorcycle Accidents
• Poor weather and road conditions
• Failing to wear or improper use of protective gear (helmet, leather clothing)
• Weaving in and out of traffic
Statistics on Motorcycle Safety
Looking at the relevant statistics can give us an insight into how these crashes happen and how common they can be.
1. In 2013, approximately 88,000 people were injured in motorcycle accidents, with 458 fatalities. 94%of the fatalities were the driver, while passenger fatality occurred 6% of the time.
2. The leading causes of motorcycle crashes are unsafe speed, failure to yield right of way, and driver distraction.
3. In the US, half of all motorcycle fatalities are adults over 40. Motorcyclists over 60 are 2.5 times more likely to have serious injuries compared to younger motorcyclists.
4. In 2014, about 30% of motorcyclists involved in fatal crashes were over the legal limit for blood alcohol concentration.
5. In the same year, about 35% of motorcyclists involved in fatal crashes were speeding at the time.
6. Riders of “super sport” bikes suffer a death rate 4 times higher than those riders of other types of motorcycles.
Safety Tips for Sharing the Road with Motorcyclists
Safe driving is everyone’s responsibility, and here are a few tips to keep in mind when sharing the road with motorcyclists:
1. Be aware of your blind spots and always signal turns and lane changes when in the vicinity of motorcyclists. Unsigned left turns are incredibly dangerous, and cause 40% of collisions involving passenger vehicles and motorcyclists.
2. Always allow a full lane for the motorcyclists to drive in.
3. Allow plenty of following space when traveling behind a motorcycle. This is even more important with deteriorating or less than great road conditions.
4. When approaching, or stopped at, an intersection, always assume the motorcyclist is closer than it would appear. Due to a motorcycle’s smaller size, judging speed and distance is more challenging.
Safety Tips for Motorcyclists
The following is a list of easy to do steps that every motorcyclist should take in order to ensure a safe ride:
1. Wear a helmet that is rated for highway use, and, if applicable, designed for the specific riding conditions.
2. Wear protective clothes designed for motorcycle travel. Even though the Texas can be unbearable most of the year, you should seek out lightweight protective gear with heavy-duty protective panels covering the spine, torso, shoulders, elbows, and knees.
3. Ride defensively or assume that other motorists have not seen you.
4. Always drive keeping a safe distance between your motorcycle and other motorists.
How are Injury Lawyers Fight for Motorcycle Accident Victims
The experienced personal injury attorneys at Pusch and Nguyen will negotiate with the insurance company to ensure you receive fair compensation. We have the legal knowledge to prepare the strongest arguments, and may even retain a private investigator to build your case. We will explain all your options, conduct a thorough investigation, and, if necessary, challenge the police report’s findings. All this is in addition to establishing driver fault, road conditions and safety equipment may be inspected.
Most insurance companies settle quickly, thus offer only minimal help to victims. They would rather not wait for you to discover that you have long-term medical or disability issues. To them, it’s only business, but for you, it’s about your future. Never agree to a settlement without talking to a lawyer. If the insurance company does not agree to a fair settlement, they will pursue your case in court. It is important that you are fairly compensated for your medical bills, wage loss, and pain and suffering.
Insurance companies are not in the business of helping people. They are in the business of making money.
Contact Our Attorneys To Schedule Your Free Consultation
Not all accidents can be avoided. If you have suffered bodily injury caused by the negligence of another motorist, or by defects in the road, please call us at Pusch & Nguyen. Our experienced legal team have helped numerous riders and can help you too. If your motorcycle insurance is refusing to pay, call us immediately so we can investigate your claim and determine the responsible parties in order to hold them accountable for their negligence. Our consultation is always free, and you pay a dime unless we win.
We are dedicated to helping the victims of motorcycle accidents receive full compensation needed for their medical bills and ongoing care. If you would like to schedule a free consultation with one of our Houston Motorcycle accident injury attorneys, call 713-524-8139 or fill out our online contact form. Our office is located in Houston Texas, and we have the ability to meet you elsewhere if that is more convenient for you.